The ultimate 4-day Trail Run Getaway in tropical paradise
Outer Limits has teamed up with the crew from Prosail to deliver you the ultimate Trail Running and Sailing Getaway. The Trail and Sail tour is for the passionate trail runner and explorer. You don’t need to be a sailor, but you might be one by the end of the trip.
Spend 4 days sailing aboard an ex-racing sail boat in the Whitsundays, stopping along the way and running the magnificent trails on the islands. The views and vistas along the way will let you forget about the burn in your legs as you climb to the top of the peaks. Just remember, steep climbs also make for fast descents.
The Trail & Sail Getaway provides a unique opportunity to access trails off the beaten track. Running at your own pace, don’t forget to take in the views along the way as you traverse pristine islands and climb to the highest peaks in the Whitsundays.
This trip of a lifetime has very limited spots only, so make sure to get in early to not miss out.
Below is a little video from one of our previous participants Takuma Konno.
Eat, Sleep, Run, Repeat
The Getaway starts on the mainland, before we board the boats with a run up to Honeyeater Lookout. From there you can see the beautiful Whitsunday Islands that we are about to embark on. Once back at the marina, we will make ourselves at home aboard the yachts and head out to our second run for the day. Each trail run is unique and everyone will end up with their own personal favourite at the end of the trip. What they all have in common however are stunning views along the way and at the summits. Flowy and at times technical trails that get you into the flow-state, that a runners’ high is made of. You have to experience it to believe it!
When we are not running, we we will explore the islands, swim at secluded beaches, snorkel the fringing coral reefs and of course squeeze some time in to relax and recover. We will be sailing with the experienced and multi award winning crew of Prosail, who will take us to the start lines of our runs, cook fresh meals and ensure everyone is having a great time. During our 4 day/3 night trip we will get hands on experience and learn how to set the sails and get a turn on the wheel.
Sailing aboard Broomstick and Condor is an amazing way to see the Whitsundays. The ex-racing yachts were built to race around the world, as a true Maxi, they are big, comfortable and very fast. The accommodation on board is open plan share cabins with (mostly) single bunk beds.
This getaway is suited for adults (minimum age 16 years). Please ensure you are suitably fit for the distance and durations of the runs. Some runs have short course options, please enquire with the Outer Limits crew before heading out on the trails.
Price: $1,429 per person
- 4 days/3 nights sailing on board of one of the yachts with an experienced sailing crew
- Freshly prepared meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner + morning and afternoon tea)
- Accommodation and fresh linen, towels
- Snorkeling equipment
- All National Park and Marine Park fees and taxes
- 6 stunning Trail Runs
- Trail & Sail T-shirt
- Post run recovery supplements provided by Fit Empire Health & Wellness
- A ton of fun and unforgettable memories
NOT included: transport to and from Airlie Beach.
Please note that a minimum number of 15 runners is required for the trip to go ahead. In the unlikely event that minimum numbers are not met, a full refund will be issued.
Trail Run Routes & Maps
- Run 1 (Thursday): Airlie Beach, Honeyeater Lookout- 10km MAP LINK
- Run 2 (Thursday): South Molle Island- 12km MAP LINK
- Run 3 (Friday): Whitsunday Peak- 5km (steep- fast walking only) MAP LINK
- Run 4 (Friday): Whitsunday Cairn- 4km (steep- fast walking only) MAP LINK
- Run 5 (Saturday morning): Whitehaven Beach & Chance Bay- 10km MAP LINK
- Run 6 (Sunday morning): Hamilton Island- 13km MAP LINK
All participants are highly encouraged to download the maps onto their Garmin or sport watch or mobile phone. There will be no additional trail markers for the runs, however we will be using well maintained tracks, which have some signage along the way.
What to bring
We have provided an equipment list with what we suggest to bring along. Please ensure that all your belongings fit into a soft duffle bag, space on the boats is very limited and when we go sailing, bags tend to zoom from one side of the boat to the other. It is BYO on the boats, but we ask to not bring glass bottles and opt for cans instead. Feel free to bring along some favourite snacks, however the boat crew feeds us well each day. Please ensure to let us know about your dietary requirements if you have any.
There will be basic mandatory equipment for the trail runs to ensure everyones safety, including a mobile phone, hydration vest or running belt, 2x compression bandages, emergency blanket, whistle and we recommend to bring along water and nutrition for the longer runs.
Please view the equipment list here: Trail and Sail Equipment List 2024.
A trip itinerary will be emailed out closer to the date. Please see HERE for the itinerary, this may be subject to change due to tides.
How to get there
The Adventure starts from the Coral Sea Marina, 1-3 Shingley Drive, Airlie Beach. If you are travelling from further away, there are a few options to choose from.
- From the North – Airlie Beach is 620km (7.5 hour drive) from Cairns and 275km (3.5 hour drive) from Townsville following the Bruce Highway. Airlie Beach is well sign posted once you get closer.
- From the South – Airlie Beach is 150km (2 hour drive) from Mackay and 480km (5.5 hour drive) from Rockhampton
- Using google maps as navigation, simply put in Coral Sea Marina or the full address
- Whitsunday Coast Airport – Proserpine, 26km from Airlie Beach. Once arrived, there are a number of transfer options to get to Airlie Beach. Ensure you arrive with plenty of time to not miss the boat.
- Hamilton Island Airport – there are direct flights from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to Hamilton Island. Once you arrive on the island, a water taxi needs rot be booked to take you to the mainland. We will spend our last day on Hamilton Island, so it could be an option to stay on the island to catch the return flight.
- If you arrive one or more days before departure, there are countless options for accommodation. Ensure to book early as Airlie Beach is a very popular holiday destination. There are plenty of options to suit every budget.
- The accommodation on board the maxi yachts is open plan, shared bunk style rooms. Most of the beds are single beds, however some double beds are available also. We have provided a map below to give an idea of the living space on the boats.
PLEASE NOTE – payment must be made after reserving your spot using the online booking system. A confirmation email will be sent to you shortly after registering, please follow the payment instructions in the email. Payment needs to be made in full no later than 2 weeks after reserving your spot. If payment has not been made, your reservation will automatically be cancelled. If you wish to make payment in instalments, this can be done after prior approval with the event organiser. Please contact us via email to request a payment plan. If the payment plan option is selected, an additional $45 will be charged and 4x payments of $368.50 need to be made before 13th June 2024.
The Fine Print – Waiver Form – When registering online, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.
Change, Cancellation and Refund Policy
Participant no longer able to attend/participate
Registered Participants who are no longer able to attend or participate in their registered event may:
- Request a refund as outlined and in accordance with clauses 1 and 2;
- Request that their registration be transferred to another athlete as outlined and in accordance with clauses 7 to 9.
- Participants may request a refund by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ no less than 20 days prior to the event. No refund requests will be considered or refunds issued after this date.
- Refunds made in accordance with clause 1 are subject to a $50 transaction fee per registration being refunded.
- Participants may request to transfer their registration to another athlete by emailing ‘email@example.com’ no less than 10 days prior to the event. No athlete transfer requests will be considered or athlete transfers issued after this date.
- Written requests for an athlete transfer must include the full name of the athlete being nominated in the registered participant’s place as well as their mobile number, email address, gender, date of birth and emergency contact information.
- Athlete transfers made in accordance with clauses 3 and 4 are subject to a $30 administration fee per registration that is payable at the time of transfer.
Outer Limits reserves the right to alter the course without notice, reschedule and/or cancel the event in consultation with emergency services, government agencies and event stakeholders.
- Should the event need to be rescheduled, all registrations will be automatically transferred to the new date.
- Registered participants unable to attend the new date must notify Outer Limits by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. Registered participants will then have the option to have their registration refunded (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 1 and 2) or nominate another athlete to take over their registration (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 3 to 5).
- In the unlikely circumstance that the event has to be cancelled and is unable to be rescheduled, all registered participants will receive a refund of their entry fee.