In the lead up to the annual Castle Hill Trail Run, Outer Limits is putting on The Goat, a short and sharp trail run race up Castle Hill’s iconic trails – Cudtheringa Trail and the top end of the Goat Track.
Spots are limited and big prize money will heat it up even more.
We invite all runners, who aren’t racing to cheer on the selected few as they race up the stairs to the top. Bring your speakers, cow bells and anything else that makes noise to help the runners up that last section of trail.
The Goat has limited spots only.
- Adult: General (16+ years) Entry $50 | Late Entry $60 (from 16 Feb)
Mens & Womens:
- 1st – $250
- 2nd – $175
- 3rd – $150
- 4th – $125
- 5th – $100
The course is short, sharp and steep! Only 1.7km in length with 236m elevation gain.
Meeting point for the race sign in and briefing is at Queens Garden (Paxton Street entrance). The race starts at the corner of Castle Hill Road and Gregory Street. From there, runners race up a section of the road until they hit the Cudtheringa Trail head. Follow the trail all the way up to the Goat Track intersection and keep heading up the stairs. Once the trail meets the top of Castle Hill Road, runners head up the road and cross the finish at the start of the carpark.
Check out the Strava segment for the current leaderboard and the course map: HERE
If you are not a Strava person, you can also check out the course below and visit the Plotaroute.com website for more details on elevation and GPX files.
The Goat has limited spots only.
In order to race, runners should have a time that falls within the recommended time frame below. The best way to do this is to run the actual course and record your time on Strave. The Strava link of your results can be included in your registration form. You do not require a paid account in order to have your time shown on the platform. If you do not have a Strava account, simply record your time with your smart watch and include a link to your profile in your registration or you can also email us a screenshot of your recording.
If you do not live in Townsville and do not have a chance to run the course prior to the race, please get in touch with us prior to registering.
The recommended times are as per below:
- Mens: under 17 minutes
- Womens: under 20 minutes
Event Schedule: Friday, 1 March
- 17:00 – The race sign in is held at Queens Garden (Paxton Street entrance). There is ample of parking in the area.
- 17:20 – Race briefing at Queens Gardens
- 17:30 – Mens race start
- 17:35 – Womens race start
- 18:15 – Presentation at the top of Castle Hill
Runners will have to make their own way back down the hill to their car. If family and friends would like to come and support the event, they are more than welcomed to do so. Please keep in mind there is limited parking at the top of the hill, however there are numerous spots at the lower car park.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course.
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event officials reserve the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Obey traffic regulations unless otherwise instructed by an event official
- Treat other competitors, officials, volunteers and spectators with respect and courtesy
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
Trail Run Etiquette:
- Be mindful that the trails are open for other users outside of the race, including runners and walkers
- Do not leave any rubbish behind. What you bring in you must take out
- Keep left and give way to runners passing from behind
- Don’t approach any wildlife you may come across on the trails
- We ask you to NOT wear headphones, so you can hear other trail users around and hear the trail marshals instructions
- Stop and give assistance to other runners if needed. If another competitor falls and injures themselves, it is not an opportunity to pass them. Give assistance and ensure they are ok. Time considerations will always be given to the ones who stop and assist injured runners.
The Goat is a sprint race and in order to participate, you should be able to meet the recommended timeframes. When registering, please provide evidence of your recorded time. If you are not a Townsville local and do not have the chance to run on the segment prior to the race, please get in touch with us before registering.
The Fine Print – Waiver Form – When registering online, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.
Participant no longer able to attend/participate
- Registered Participants who are no longer able to attend or participate in their registered event may:
- Request a refund as outlined and in accordance with clauses 2 and 3;
- Request a transfer of their registration to another event as outlined and in accordance with clauses 4 to 6; or
- Request that their registration be transferred to another athlete as outlined and in accordance with clauses 7 to 9.
- Participants may request a refund by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ no less than 14 days prior to the event. No refund requests will be considered or refunds issued after this date.
- Refunds made in accordance with clause 2 are subject to a $10 transaction fee per registration being refunded.
- Participants may request to transfer their registration to another Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series event within the same calendar year by emailing ‘email@example.com’ no less than 7 days prior to the event. No transfer requests will be considered or transfers issued after this date.
- Event registrations can only be transferred once. If the registered participant is unable to attend their nominated subsequent event, the entry fee will be forfeited.
- Transfers made in accordance with clauses 4 and 5 are subject to a $5 administration fee per registration that is payable at the time of transfer.
- Participants may request to transfer their registration to another athlete by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ no less than 7 days prior to the event. No athlete transfer requests will be considered or athlete transfers issued after this date.
- Written requests for an athlete transfer must include the full name of the athlete being nominated in the registered participant’s place as well as their mobile number, email address, gender, date of birth and emergency contact information.
- Athlete transfers made in accordance with clauses 7 and 8 are subject to a $5 administration fee per registration that is payable at the time of transfer.
Participant seeking to change nominated distance
- Registered Participants may change their nominated distance for the event by either:
- Clicking the ‘change link’ contained in the confirmation email received upon registration; or
- By emailing their request to ‘email@example.com’.
- Changes requested by email will be subject to a $5 administration fee.
- Where a registered participant is changing to a shorter distance, no credit or refund will be issued for any difference in registration fees between the two distances.
- Where a registered participant is changing to a longer distance, the price difference between the two distances must be paid by the registered participant at the time of requesting the change.
- Outer Limits reserves the right to alter the course without notice, reschedule and/or cancel the event in consultation with emergency services, government agencies and event stakeholders.
- Should the event need to be rescheduled, all registrations will be automatically transferred to the new date.
- Registered participants unable to attend the new date must notify Outer Limits by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. Registered participants will then have the option to have their registration refunded (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 2 and 3), registration transferred (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 4 to 6) or nominate another athlete to take over their registration (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 7 to 9).
- In the unlikely circumstance that the event has to be cancelled and is unable to be rescheduled, all registered participants will receive a credit towards a future Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series event. The credit will be valid for 12 months.
- Refunds are not available where the event is unable to be rescheduled.