Rock ‘N Reef Trail Run
June 19 @ 6:00 am - 11:00 am$14 – $55
Rock ‘N Reef Trail Run is a new addition to the Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series. As we venture south to Bowen, the trail run scenery provides stunning beaches and rocky headlands. Why we love it: Rocky and technical trail sections with steep climbs and fast descents and some coasteering in the longer distances.
Registration opens 1st December 2021. Registration closes Saturday 18th June at 12pm!
Athlete Guide: Please read the athlete guide in it’s entirety before attending the event. Download the guide here.
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here
Rock ‘N Reef Trail Run Event Details
When: Sunday, 19th June 2022
You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number. Pins will be provided or you can bring a race number belt. No registration on the day!
Why not make a whole weekend out of it. We will attend the Bowen Parkrun on Saturday morning at 7am, spend the afternoon by the beach and then hold a Dash for Cash Beach Run Saturday afternoon at 4pm. After that we meet at the Castle Motor Lodge for a Welcome Dinner and a good nights sleep, ready to go for Sunday morning.
Where: Bowen, Case Park, Horseshoe Bay Road
Getting there: Bowen is approximately a 2:30 hours drive south on the Bruce Highway. Head towards Ayr and the Bowen. Once you get to Bowen, take Woodlands Road, Richmond Road and Soldiers Road to Horseshoe Bay Road. The Event HQ is set up in Case Park.
Parking: Parking inside the park will be tight so please park in an orderly fashion and ensure vehicles are not blocking any access ways. You may have to park outside the park and walk to Race HQ. There is plenty of parking along the main road (Horseshoe Bay Rd).
Accommodation: The Castle Motor Lodge is partnering with us this year and they are offering a discounted rate to all participants. When booking in, let them know you are attending the event.
Distances & Entry fees: General Entry starts: 17th April | Late Entry starts: 12th June
- 6km – Early Bird $34.50 | General Entry $38 | Late Entry $434
- 10km – Early Bird $40 | General Entry $44 | Late Entry $50
- 18km – Early Bird $45 | General Entry $50 | Late Entry $56
- Juniors (under 16) General Entry $15 | Late Entry $21
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date)
Start times: Race course briefing will be held 5min prior to race start.
Sunday, 20th June
- 6.15am Sign in and Bib collection for 21km run
- 6.55am Race briefing for 18km runners
- 7.00am 18km Run start
- 6.45am Sign in and Bib collection for 10km run
- 7.10am Race briefing for 10km runners
- 7.15am 10km Run start
- 7.00am Sign in and Bib collection for 6km run
- 7.25am Race briefing for 6km runners
- 7.30am 6km Run start
- 10.30am Presentations (*approx. time only- once all Top 3 are in)
Mandatory Gear: There is mandatory gear for the 12km and 21km run. There will be mandatory gear checks at the sign in. We have marshals on the course, a safety vehicle and first aid.
- 2x compression bandages
- a fully charged and waterproofed phone (there is limited service along the course) Please download the free EMERGENCY+ app on your phone prior to the event
- Space blanket
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: Presentation will be held as soon as the Top 3 runners have finished. Prizes will be given to the top 3 runners on the day
Water & Nutrition: It is recommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There is some water provided on the course, no cups, please bring your own bottle. Ensure you take sufficient nutrition with you for the duration of your run.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the start/finish line as well as the Horseshoe Bay foreshore. The course runs through the Cape Edgecumbe Heights Recreation Reserve, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the reserve. The reserve will also be open for day users so please be mindful and courteous of other users.
Refreshments: A food and coffee cart will be at race HQ.
Course Overview: The 3 courses will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There will also be course marshals at each significant turn. The course has a few out and backs to amazing lookouts and a few stair sections. The trails will be uneven including rocks and soft sand in some sections.
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 18km Course Cut-off time: TBC
6km Course: The Intro- Get a taste of what trail running is about. This course is suited for beginners with some experience or the ones who want to challenge themselves on a fast short course.
Starts at Race HQ and takes you out into the Edgecumbe Reserve, winding your way up to the iconic Mother Beddock, from there the course drops down to Murray Bay, before climbing back up to the top of the WWII Lookout. As your second out and back, head back the way you came and then turn left toward Horseshoe Bay. A fast finish along the Horseshoe Bay foreshore, back to Case Park.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
10km Course: The Intermediate- The best way to get your trail running skills put to the test. Good running fitness required.
The 10km course is similar to the 6km course, but adds a few extra loops including a coasteering section along the beach off Horseshoe Bay.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
18km Course: The Real Deal- a grand tour of Bowens scenic spots, beaches and hills.
The course starts the same as the 10km course, but instead of turning around on the beach like the 10km does on the first out and back, the 18km course keeps going all the way to Flagstaff Hill. Enjoy the views of the lighthouse on the nearby island as you climb up Flagstaff Hill. On your way back along the beach you will see Mother Beddock towering above the headland of Horseshoe Bay. Once you climb up and over you will descent into Horseshoe Bay and start a short section of coasteering (aka rock hopping), taking you around the headland. A fast stretch to the finish and it’s time to put your feet up for a well deserved rest.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
- The Fine Print- Waiver Form– When registering online, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.
Additional COVID regulations:
Please DO NOT attend the event if you
- are unwell and experience any COVID like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath)
- have recently travelled overseas, to Victoria or any other COVID hotspot
- have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m whenever you can. Especially when picking up your bib number
- utilise the sanitisation stations at the entry of event HQ
Thank you to our sponsors: