Paluma Village Trail Run
October 31 @ 6:00 am - 12:00 pm$14 – $55
Paluma Village Trail Run
The final run in the Outer Limits Trail Run Series 2021.
The Paluma Village Trail Run is our favourite event in the series, we have kept the best for last. It features amazing trails, taking you through the World Heritage listed rainforest in the most southern part of the Wet Tropics. This time of the year, Paluma Village is a great escape from the heat in Townsville. Situated at over 900m, the Paluma Range is cooler than the coastal region and it makes for great trail running in October.
The courses combine an array of trails around the village, crossing creeks, passing waterfalls and lookouts with views of the ocean.
The Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series is a finalist in the “Best Destination Event” People’s Choice Award for the 2021 North Queensland Tourism & Events Awards. This means, we need your vote to win this race!
Head to the Visit Townsville North Queensland Facebook page to vote for us and enter the draw for a $500 Holiday Voucher. Voting closes 6th September.
Thank you for your support!!
Download the Athlete Guide here.
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here.
When: Sunday, 31st October 2021
Where: Race HQ, start and finish for all distances, is at the Village Green in Paluma (56 Mt Spec Road)
Getting there: Paluma is a 90 minute drive from Townsville. Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of your event to sign in and receive your race number. There is always the possibility of an earlier start, so make sure you arrive prior to the scheduled starting time. Please be careful driving up the Paluma Range.
Parking: Please park in an orderly fashion around the village green or along the main road. Be considerate of Paluma residents and do not park in drive ways or other entry ways
Entry Fees: General Entry starts: 19th September | Late Entry starts: 24th October
- 6km: Early Bird $33.50 | General Entry $ 37 | Late Entry $43
- 10km: Early Bird $39 | General Entry $43 | Late Entry $49
- 20km: Early Bird $44 | General Entry $49 | Late Entry $55
- Juniors (under 16 years): General Entry $14 | Late Entry $20
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date)
- Long Course 20km – 7:30am start
- Intermediate Course 10km – 7:40am start
- Short Course 6km – 7:50am start
Mandatory Gear: Required for the 10km and 20km course. There is no mandatory gear for the 6km run. We have marshals on the course, a vehicle and first aid available.
Mandatory gear checks for 10km and 20km will be done at check in. You must be carrying these items in order to participate in the run.
- 2x compression bandage
- a fully charged phone (there is limited service along the course). Please download the Emergency+ app on your phone and familiarise yourself with it
- a whistle
- an emergency blanket
- sufficient hydration and nutrition
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: Presentation will be held as soon as the Top 3 runners have finished. Prizes will be given to the top 3 runners on the day
Facilities: There are toilets located at the Race HQ
Sausage Sizzle: will be provided by the Paluma District Community Association at the end of the race, free for race participants.
Course Overview: Paluma is part of the Wet Tropics area and so it is wet most of the year. The course is very technical with mossy rocks and slippery tree roots. You will encounter tricky creek crossings and trees over the track. You may also find a few leeches on the course, and maybe a snake or two (they’re pretty friendly). For more information on the area please visit the National Parks website.
If you are not comfortable in the bush it is suggested to run with a buddy. These trails are very remote and deep in the rain forest. We will do our best to have as many marshals on the course as possible and it will be well marked. It is always safer to run with someone, however it is not mandatory and in the short and intermediate courses there should be plenty of other runners around you.
CAUTION: Due to the technicality of the course it will take considerably longer than you would run the same distance on the road, so ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect. The 10km and 20km are our toughest runs of the entire series due to the elevation gain of 400m (!!!) and it is also a technical course. Please ensure you have done adequate training and come prepared.
Water: The only water on the course is from natural running sources, so take appropriate purification means, drink the water at your own risk (Sam does) or carry sufficient for the entire course. A map of the course will be available for viewing at the start of each event.
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 20km Course Cut-off time: 10.45am -> if runners have not reached the H-Track by this time, they will be directed towards the finish line and do not continue along the 20km course
- 10km course Cut-off time:
6km course map & elevation
Download the 6km GPX file here
10km course map & elevation
Download the 10km GPX file here
20km course map & elevation
Download the 20km GPX file here
Camping: If you wish to camp at the Paluma Dam you need to book via the Townsville City Council website
Airbnb: There are a few Airbnb options in Paluma. Make sure to book ahead of time
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Paluma Adventure Centre SPECIAL
The Outer Limits Adventure Centre will be open on Saturday from 10am until 1pm.
Price: $20 for kids (under 16 years), $30 for Adults
Saturday, 23rd October 10:00-13:00
Click here for bookings
Join us on Saturday evening for a dinner under the stars, RSVP essential, until Thursday, 28th October.
Please book your tickets online here
Thank you to our sponsors
January 1 @ 8:00 am - November 30 @ 5:00 pm
September 27 @ 8:00 am - September 30 @ 5:00 pm
October 10 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
October 30 @ 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
October 31 @ 6:00 am - 12:00 pm