Paluma Dam Good
October 28 @ 7:00 am - 12:00 pm
Paluma Dam Good Trail Run
The 6th and final run in the Outer Limits Trail Run Series 2018.
We keep the best for last. The Paluma Dam Good Trail Run is our favourite event in the series. It features amazing trails, taking you through the World Heritage listed rainforest. This time of the year, Paluma is a great escape from the heat in Townsville. Situated at over 900m, the Paluma Range is cooler then the coastal region and it makes for great trail running in October.
Race HQ, start and finish for all distances will be at the village green in the Paluma township. There is an array of trails around the village crossing creeks, passing water falls and lookouts.
Competitor Info HERE
Getting there: Paluma is a 90 minute drive from Townsville. Please arrive at
least 30 minutes before the start of your event to sign in and receive your race number. There is always the possibility of an earlier start, so make sure you arrive prior to the scheduled starting time. Please be careful driving up the Paluma Range.
Parking: Please park in an orderly fashion around the village green or along the main road.
Camping: If you wish to camp at the Paluma Dam you need to book via the Townsville City Council website
Paluma Environmental Education Centre: dorm style accommodation with bunk beds. You need to bring a sleeping bag and pillow.
Cost is $40 for the night per person
Paluma Adventure Centre SPECIAL
The Outer Limits Adventure Centre will be open on Saturday and Sunday and we are offering a special for all juniors who book in on either day and they will receive a free entry to the trail run on Sunday.
Children (up to 14 years) $20 – they receive a free entry to the trail run
Saturday, 27th October 13:00-15:30 | 15:30-17:30
Sunday, 28th October 11:00-13:00 | 13:30-15:30
Click here for bookings
Short Course 6km – 9:00am start | Early Bird $27 | General Entry $30 (starting 6th Sep) | Late Entry $35 (starting 21st Oct)
Intermediate Course 10km – 8:30am start | Early Bird $32.50 | General Entry $35 (starting 6th Sep) | Late Entry $40 (starting 21st Oct)
Long Course 20km – 8:00am start| Early Bird $36 | General Entry $40 (starting 6th Sep) | Late Entry $45 (starting 21st Oct)
Categories: Male & Female
Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59yrs | 60+yrs
Presentation: Presentation will be held at approx. 11am. There will be cash and prizes for the first 3 male and female of all courses. Top 3 in boys and girls juniors (under 16) and first place getters in age group categories will also be recognised. The top 3 winners will be excluded from the age group prizes.
Mandatory Gear: Trail running comes with some risk, running in the rain forest and in remote areas takes a certain skill and fitness level. Please make sure you are up to the distance you wish to run. We also have appropriate safety mechanisms in place, including requiring each runner to carry mandatory safety equipment. The following mandatory equipment must be taken by all competitors (except for the 5km course):
▪ 2x compression bandages
▪ mobile phone (make sure you’ve got the battery fully charged). There are places on the course where you get reception.
▪ emergency/space blanket (around $6 from your local pharmacy)
▪ hydration pack or bottles
There will be a mandatory gear check when you sign in. You must be carrying these items in order to participate in the run.
Every runner will be provided with a race number. Please bring a race number belt or use the pins provided.
The Course: Paluma is part of the Wet Tropics area and so it is wet most of the year. The course is very technical with mossy rocks and slippery tree roots. You will encounter tricky creek crossings and trees over the track. You may also find a few leeches on the course, and maybe a snake or two (they’re pretty friendly). For more information on the area please visit the National Parks website.
If you are not comfortable in the bush it is suggested to run with a buddy. These trails are very remote and deep in the rain forest. We will do our best to have as many marshals on the course as possible and it will be well marked. It is always safer to run with someone, however it is not mandatory and in the short and intermediate courses there should be plenty of other runners around you.
Due to the technicality of the course it will take considerably longer than you would run the same distance on the road, so ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect.
Water: Outer Limits will have some nutrition available for purchase at the event, this includes, gels, energy bars and electrolytes. The only water on the course is from natural running sources, so take appropriate purification means, drink the water at your own risk (Sam does) or carry sufficient for the entire course. A map of the course will be available for viewing at the start of each event.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the Race HQ
Lunch: A bbq lunch will be provided by the Paluma Community Group at the end of the race, free for race participants.
6km course map
6km course elevation
10km & 20km course map (note the 10km course does the bottom loop anti clockwise)
10km & 20km course elevation (1okm is second half only)
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered. We are able to offer very low entry fees as we use a manual timing system for our events, it becomes very confusing for the timing staff if there are unregistered runners crossing the finish line and it can cause faults in the timing system.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this helps the timing staff to be most efficient
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Cancellation and Refund Policy – If you are unable to attend the event, we can arrange a credit transfer to another race or a refund. In order to receive a refund, the cancellation needs to be made 14 days prior to the event date. NO refunds are issued after this time period. If you would like to transfer your registration to the next trail run event in the trail run series, the request needs to be made no later than 7 days prior to the event. Any registration transfers incur an administration fee of $5. If you would like to transfer your registration to another participant the request needs to be made no later than 7 days prior to the event. Any registration transfers incur an administration fee of $5. There is no refund for difference in entry fee when swapping race distances.