Cape Pallarenda Trail Run
August 22 @ 6:00 am - 11:00 am$14 – $55
The Cape Pallarenda Trail Run has been the signature run in the Outer Limits Trail Run Series for a number of years.
The start and finish of each race will be at Race HQ at the , once a quarantine station in the early 1900s and a strategic defence location in World War II. The park offers a fantastic trail network for mountain biking and trail running, all whilst taking in the great views onto Magnetic Island and the Townsville mainland.
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any after registering.
Rego closes Saturday, 21st August at 12.00pm
Download the Athlete Guide here
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here
When: Sunday, 22nd August 2021
Where: Walter Nesbit Park, Cape Pallarenda
Getting there: Pallarenda is a 15 minute drive from Townsville CBD. Follow Cape Pallarenda Road to the very end to find Race HQ.
Parking: Parking is available at the end of the public road at Walter Nesbit Park. More parking can be found at Free Masons Park, back towards town near the boat ramp
Distances & entry fees: General Entry starts: 11th July | Late Entry starts: 15th August
- Gunners Salute 6km – Early Bird $33.50 | General Entry $37 | Late Entry $43
- Brolga Dreaming 12km – Early Bird $39 | General Entry $43 | Late Entry $49
- Heartbreak Half 21km – Early Bird $44 | General Entry $49 | Late Entry $55
- Juniors (under 16) General Entry $14 | Late Entry $20
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date)
Start times: Race course briefing will be held 10min prior to race start.
- 21km – 7am start
- 12km – 7:15am start
- 6km – 7:30am start
Mandatory Gear: There is mandatory gear for the 12km and 21km run. There will be a mandatory gear check when you sign in. You must be carrying these items in order to participate in the run. We have marshals on the course, a safety vehicle and first aid.
- 2x compression bandages
- a fully charged and waterproofed phone (there is limited service along the course) Please download the free EMERGENCY+ app on your phone prior to the event
- Space blanket
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: Presentation will be held as soon as the Top 3 runners have finished. Prizes will be given to the top 3 runners on the day
Water & Nutrition: It is recommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. Some water is provided on the course at aid stations, please use your own bottle. Ensure you take sufficient nutrition with you for the run
Facilities: There are toilets located at Free Mason Park and Race HQ. The trail network is part of Cape Pallarenda Conservation Park and we expect everyone to take care of the park and facilities, ensuring no rubbish is left out on the course in order for us to continue our good relationship with the Council and Parks and Wildlife. The Park will also be open to other day users, please be mindful and courteous of other users at all times.
Sausage Sizzle: will be provided by the West End State School at the end of the race, free for race participants.
Overview: The course starts at Race HQ at Pallarenda Park and passes through old strategic defence locations from WWII. The trails take you along the spectacular Mt Marlow summit, Smedleys Ridge, the Graveyard Circuit and of course the popular single track Under the Radar. These trails will give you sweeping views over Cleveland Bay, Magnetic Island and the Coral Sea beyond. The terrain ranges from single track to wider trails, short, steep climbs, loose and rocky ground and some cruisy flat sections.
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 21km Course Cut-off time: TBC
- 12km course Cut-off time: TBC
Gunners Salute: 5km – Starts on the beach for the first 200m and then turns left. Follow the trail until you come to the road, turn right and after 50m turn left. The road then turns into a rocky trail leading up towards the Forts, where the course does an out and back before heading down into Shelly Beach with a fast descent. Don’t get too distracted by the stunning views of Magnetic Island as you head down the stairs and back onto the beach. The 500m along the beach to the finish might feel like they will never end.
View map & download GPX file here
Brolga Dreaming: 12km – Starts across the road from Race HQ. The course follows the Lagoon Trail until the Mt Marlow turn off. A technical single trail takes the runners to the top of Mt Marlow before a fun and fast descent down to Bald Rock Carpark. The course then turns onto the Freshwater Trail for some fun and mostly flat running. The finish is back at Race HQ. Brolga Dreaming will have water available at the 7km mark.
View map & download GPX file here
Heartbreak Half Marathon: 21km –tarts across the road from Race HQ. The course follows the Lagoon Trail until the Mt Marlow turn off. A technical single trail takes the runners to the top of Mt Marlow before a fun and fast descent down to Bald Rock Carpark. The course continues along Under The Radar until you go past Shelly Beach and then complete one loop of the Forts. The 500m along the beach to the finish will be a test for your legs. The Heartbreak Half will have water stations available at the 7km, 12km and 19km mark.
View map & download GPX file here.
Race Day Info
Merchandise: Outer Limits merchandise and race nutrition is for sale on the day
Refreshments: The Feel Good Foodie ensures you get your caffeine hit before and after your run. They also have food and other drinks on their menu. There is cold water and electrolytes available to all competitors at the finish line.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see an event official or contact race HQ. If you do not report to an event official and a search party is sent out, this will be at the competitors cost. It will be hot so please take precautions to stay safe in the heat.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Additional COVID regulations:
Please DO NOT attend the event if you
- are unwell and experience any COVID like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath)
- have recently travelled overseas, to Victoria or any other COVID hotspot
- have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m whenever you can. Especially when picking up your bib number
- utilise the sanitisation stations at the entry of event HQ
Thank you to our sponsors
January 1 @ 8:00 am - November 30 @ 5:00 pm
April 12 @ 8:00 am - April 15 @ 4:00 pm
April 24 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
June 20 @ 6:00 am - 11:00 am