Cape Pallarenda Trail Run
August 25, 2019 @ 5:00 am - 10:00 am$10 - $50
The Cape Pallarenda Trail Run is the signature run in the Outer Limits Trail Run Series. It offers a 5km and 12km course along with a half and full marathon. Townsville’s only off road marathon race.
The start and finish of each race will be at Race HQ in the Cape Pallarenda Conservation Park, once a quarantine station in the early 1900s and a strategic defence location in World War II. The park offers a fantastic trail network for mountain biking and trail running, all whilst taking in the great views onto Magnetic Island and the Townsville mainland.
We have $2000 worth of great prizes for our top 3 winners for each distance and
first place in each age group.
When: Sunday, 25th August 2019
Registration opens 1st January 2019.
Distances, times & entry fees:
Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of your event to sign in and receive your race number. There is always the possibility of an earlier start, so make sure you arrive prior to the scheduled starting time
Mt Marlow Marathon (42km) – 5:30am | General Entry $55 | Late Entry $60 (26th August)
Heartbreak Half (21km) – 7:00am | General Entry $50 | Late Entry $55 (26th August)
Brolga Dreaming (12km) – 7:30am | General Entry $45 | Late Entry $50 (26th August)
Gunners Salute (5km) – 8:00am | General Entry $35 | Late Entry $40 (26th August)
All juniors (under 16) only pay $15 entry fee
Categories: The following categories are available for all distances. For the Gunners Salute 5km, kids under 12 must be accompanied by an adult (1 adult can take up to 2 kids). Juniors are also permitted to run the longer distances but must do so on the parents’ consent.
Male & Female
Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59yrs | 60+yrs
Getting there: Pallarenda is a 15 minute drive from Townsville CBD. Follow Cape Pallarenda Road to the very end to find Race HQ
Parking: parking is available at the end of the public road at Walter Nesbit Park. More parking can be found at Free Masons Park, back towards town near the boat ramp
Start Location: All distances start at Race HQ inside the Conservation Park at the end of Cape Pallarenda Road, next to the old quarantine station
Presentation: Approximately 11am. There are cash and prizes for the first 3 male and female of all distances. 1st place in age group categories will also be recognised.
Mandatory Gear: Due to the warmer season and the dry conditions Outer Limits have appropriate safety mechanisms in place, including requiring each runner to carry mandatory safety equipment. The following mandatory equipment must be taken by all competitors (except for the Gunners Salute 5km)
Every runner will be provided with a race number. Please bring a race number belt or use the pins provided.
▪ 2x compression bandages
▪ mobile phone (make sure you’ve got the battery fully charged). There are places on the course where you get reception.
▪ hydration pack or bottles
There will be a mandatory gear check when you sign in. You must be carrying these items in order to participate in the run.
Aid Stations: water refill stations are out on the course but no cups are supplied. You are to use your own bottles or bladder for the run.
Facilities: There are toilets located at Free Mason Park and Race HQ. The trail network is part of Cape Pallarenda Conservation Park and we expect everyone to take care of the park and facilities, ensuring no rubbish is left out on the course in order for us to continue our good relationship with the Council and Parks and Wildlife. The Park will also be open to day users, please be mindful and courteous of other users at all times.
Safety: There are 3 main safety concerns for this event:
Snakes – The area you are running in is home to various types of snakes and they are likely to be more active due to the warmer weather. There are areas of the course which are quite remote which is why it is necceassary for all runners to carry compression bandages.
The Heat- August in the tropics can be hot and very dry, as a result we have chosen an early start time for the races. Please ensure you are well hydrated and take sufficient water carrying capacity, electrolytes and nurtrition with you. If you are new to longer distance running feel free to contact us for some nutrition and hydration advice.
The trails can be quite a challenge in itself, especially if you are new to trail running. Please take into consideration that running on trails will take you significantly longer than running the same distance on road. Ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect. The Outer Limits Merchandise tent will have nutrition and electrolytes for sale on the day.
Please ensure you have appropriate footwear, we recommend the use of trail running shoes
The Course: The course starts at the historic site of the Quarantine Station from the 1900s and passes through old strategic defence locations from WWII. The trails take you along the spectacular Mt Marlow summit, Smedleys Ridge, the Graveyard Circuit and of course the popular single track Under the Radar. These trails will give you sweeping views over Cleveland Bay, Magnetic Island and the Coral Sea beyond. The terrain ranges from single track to wider trails, short, steep climbs, loose and rocky ground and some cruisy flat sections.
Gunners Salute: 5km – One lap of the marked course
Brolga Dreaming: 12km – Runs out the Conservation Park, up Mt Marlow, down to Bald Rock Carpark, then back along via the Freshwater Trail, then heads in to finish along the Conservation Park Rd to Race HQ. Brolga Dreaming will have water available at the 7km mark.
Heartbreak Half Marathon: 21km – Runs out the Conservation Park, up Mt Marlow, down to Bald Rock Carpark, then continues along Under The Radar. It takes in one loop of the Graveyard Circuit, runs down the beach, then back to race HQ via the Conservation Park Road. The Heartbreak Half will have water stations available at the 7km, 12km and 19km mark.
Mt Marlow Marathon: 42km – Runs out of the Conservation Park and along the Lagoon Trail to Bald Rock Carpark and back towards Race HQ on the Freshwater Trail. It then heads up the Mt Marlow trail and drop back down to Bald Rock Carpark. It follows the 11km loop out to Smedley’s and back to Bald Rock then Under the Radar and finishes with one loop of the Graveyard Circuit. The final part runs down the beach and turns in to the finish line back at Race HQ.
Gear Drop: We are providing drop bags for the Marathon only. The bags will be placed at Bald Rock Carpark, which you will pass through at the 5km mark and again after your Mt Marlow loop at the 17km mark and once more after the Smedley’s Loop at the 28km mark.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered. We are able to offer very low entry fees as we use a manual timing system for our events, it becomes very confusing for the timing staff if there are unregistered runners crossing the finish line and it can cause faults in the timing system.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this helps the timing staff to be most efficient
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Cancellation and Refund Policy – If you are unable to attend the event, we can arrange a credit transfer to another race or a refund. In order to receive a refund, the cancellation needs to be made 14 days prior to the event date. NO refunds are issued after this time period.If you would like to transfer your registration to the next trail run event in the trail run series, the request needs to be made no later than 7 days prior to the event. Any registration transfers incur an administration fee of $5. If you would like to transfer your registration to another participant the request needs to be made no later than 7 days prior to the event. Any registration transfers incur an administration fee of $5.
November 1, 2018 @ 8:00 am - January 7, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
January 14, 2019 @ 8:00 am - January 18, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
February 24, 2019 @ 6:00 am - 10:00 am
April 7, 2019 @ 6:00 am - 10:00 am
May 25, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm