The Two Bays Trail Run is held on Saturday, 25th May 2024. Only a short ferry ride from Townsville lies Magnetic Island, boasting a unique natural environment of palm-fringed beaches, large granite boulders, hoop pines, sandy beaches and fringing coral reefs, it is an island paradise of endless sunshine, koalas, hiking trails, adventures, and more!
The spectacular courses take you from one side of Magnetic Island to the other and finish at the Arcadia Village Hotel. This is the only run that is held on a Saturday afternoon, which makes it the perfect opportunity to spend the weekend on the island. The finish line is inside the pub, so you only have to walk another 10m to the bar and order your hard earned drink and meal.
Choose your own challenge from a 6km, 12km or a 21km course. The trails will climb out Nelly Bay to the top of the hill above Arcadia Bay and the longer distances will take you down into Horseshoe Bay and back to Arcadia, taking in spectacular views along the way.
We acknowledge the Wulgurukaba people of Gurambilbarra as the Traditional Owners of this land. We pay our respects to their cultures, their ancestors and their Elders, past and present – and all future generations.
When: Saturday, 25th May 2024
Sign in opens from 2pm. You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number. Please ensure to fill out the back of the race bib with your emergency contact details.
Entry Fees & Inclusions: General Entry starts: 25th March | Late Entry starts: 13th May
- 6km: Early Bird $35 | General Entry $40 | Late Entry $50
- 12km: Early Bird $45 | General Entry $50 | Late Entry $60
- 21km: Early Bird $50 | General Entry $55 | Late Entry $65
- Juniors (under 16yrs | short & medium distance only): $18 general entry | Late Entry $25
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date).
Your Entry fee includes:
- Entry to the race
- Fully marked, marshalled course
- First Aid support on course and at Race HQ
- On course professional photography
- Professional electronic timing and results
- Race bib plate with electronic timing chip, which is yours to keep
- Earn series points for your overall series ranking
- On course hydration and snack support (no cups provided, please use your own bottle)
- Post race recovery station with hydration and fruit buffet
- Free massage post run, thanks to Fisiocrem (subject to availability)
- Bag transfer to finish line
- Discounted travel with our event supporter SeaLink
- Queensland Parks and Wildlife access fees
- Exclusive deals with our sponsors
- The opportunity to win random prizes at the presentation after the race
- Great prize packs for top 3 male and female winners in each distance and cash prizes for top 3 Junior winners (under 12 & under 16)
Where: The run commences from the Magnetic Island State School sports oval, 16/10 Mandalay Avenue, Nelly Bay on Magnetic Island. Race HQ will be situated in the school grounds. Follow the path from the terminal around to the left onto Sooning Street, turn right into Mandalay Avenue and left into the school down the side of the swimming pool.
All races start at Race HQ. Race HQ is also the athlete check in location. The venue has no toilet facilities available so make sure you go before you leave the Ferry Terminal. The nearest toilets are at the day use area across from Scallywags.
Getting there: SeaLink is one of our event supporters and they are offering discounted rates for event participants, check their current timetable here. There are three ferry services that will get you to the start line on time (11.40am, 1.00pm and 2.15pm or earlier services). Please try to take the earlier ferries to allow yourself plenty of time on the Island to get yourself set up and signed in. All race participants receive a 20% discount on their ferry tickets. SeaLink will have a list with all participants’ names behind the ticket counter.
Course Overview: The 6km, 12km and 21km course will be clearly marked with pink tape, caution tape and branded signage including arrows, wrong way markers and turn around signs. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go, depending on which distance you are completing. There will be course marshals at each significant turn.
All 3 courses commence in Nelly Bay, running up Mandalay Ave and following the Mandalay walking track to Arcadia Bay. The trail is technical single track, winding it’s way up and over the Island with stunning views over Horseshoe Bay. Keep your eyes out for the residential Koalas.
CAUTION: Due to the technicality of the course it will take considerably longer than you would run the same distance on the road, so ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect to be running for. Please ensure you have done adequate training and come prepared.
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 21km Course Cut-off time: 5pm at Horseshoe Bay (runners will be short coursed)
The 6km course starts in Nelly Bay at the Magnetic Island State School. Heading down along Mandalay Avenue, try your best to get some distance before hiting the single trail. Following a creek line for about 1km before hitting the big hill with technical single track and a load of steps. Once you have climbed to the top, it’s all downhill from here, all the way to the pub.
Download the 6km GPX file here
12km course map & elevation
Download the 12km GPX file here
The 12km and 21km course take a left turn and head to the Forts car park. The 12km runners take an out and back down towards Horseshoe Bay and then climb back up. At the top a scenic out and back to Sphinx Lookout is a must and then it’s all downhill along the Arcadia Track to the Arcadia Hotel.
21km course map & elevation
Download the 21km GPX file here
The 21km runners take the track beside the road heading to Horseshoe Bay, past the pub along the foreshore and over the trail to Radical Bay, then up Radical Bay Road and down the Arcadia Track to Arcadia.
Download the Athlete Guide here. Please check your spam folder for your confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering. your confirmation email includes a Change Link that can be used to make changes to your registration. If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here.
Event Schedule: Briefing for all 3 courses is at the Event HQ, Magnetic Island State School in Nelly Bay.
- 2:30pm Sign in and Bib collection for 21km run
- 3:05pm 21km race briefing
- 3.10pm 21km Trail Run start
- 2.50pm Sign in and Bib collection for 12km run
- 3.15pm 12km race briefing
- 3.20pm 12km Trail Run start
- 3.05pm Sign in and Bib collection for 6km run
- 3.25pm 6km race briefing
- 3.30pm 6km Trail Run start
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 12) | Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (under 12 & under 16 | short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: is at approximately 5:30pm at the Arcadia Hotel once all Top 3 runners are back. So make sure to stick around
Mandatory Gear: Please see below for the mandatory gear requirements for the 12km and 21km run. The mandatory gear must be carried for the duration of the run, event officials reserve the right to refuse a participant to start the race if they do not comply with mandatory gear requirements. There will be mandatory gear checks at the sign in. We have marshals on the course and a safety vehicle with additional first aid.
- 2x compression bandage
- a fully charged phone (there is limited service along the course). Please download the Emergency+ app on your phone and familiarise yourself with it. Please save the Race Directors mobile number in your phone 0421 484 211
- 1x whistle
- 1x emergency blanket
- sufficient hydration and nutrition
- 1x head torch (21km runners only)
IMPORTANT: 21km competitors MUST bring a headtorch, as it will be getting dark towards the end of the run!
Gear Drop: A personal bag per competitor can be transported to the finish line for you. It must be clearly marked and placed in the allocated gear drop area near the registration desk.
Water: It is recommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There is some water provided on the course. No cups provided, runners need to use their own bottles.
Facilities: There are toilets located near the start line in the park across the road or at the ferry terminal. There are only limited toilet facilities available at the school! The course runs through Magnetic Island National Park, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the National Park and ‘Leave no Trace’ policy. The park will remain open for day users, please be mindful and courteous of other users.
Merchandise: There will be Outer Limits merchandise for sale at Race HQ in Nelly Bay and finish line in Arcadia. Payment can be made in cash or via direct debit (no eftpos available).
Finish Line refreshments: Cold water and electrolytes (thanks to Fit Empire & Wellness) are provided at the finish line for competitors. Fresh seasonal fruit will also be available to all runners, thanks to The Fairfield Fresh Market.
Dinner: The Arcadia Hotel is offering discounted meals for all runners from 6pm. The bar will be open and live music has your night entertainment covered. Bring your bathers if you would like to go for a dip in the pool.
Getting Home: If you are not spending the night on the island, there are 4 return ferries that are well suited: 5:00pm, 6:35pm, 8pm and 10pm. You will have to catch the Sun bus (or walk) from Arcadia Bay to catch the Ferry at the SeaLink terminal in Nelly Bay.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see an event official or contact race HQ. If you do not report to an event official and a search party is sent out, this will be at the competitors cost. It will be hot so please take precautions to stay safe in the heat.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course.
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event officials reserve the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Obey traffic regulations unless otherwise instructed by an event official
- Treat other competitors, officials, volunteers and spectators with respect and courtesy
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
Trail Run Etiquette:
- Be mindful that the trails are open for other users outside of the race, including runners and walkers
- Do not leave any rubbish behind. What you bring in you must take out
- Keep left and give way to runners passing from behind
- Don’t approach any wildlife you may come across on the trails
- We ask you to NOT wear headphones, so you can hear other trail users around and hear the trail marshals instructions
- Stop and give assistance to other runners if needed. If another competitor falls and injures themselves, it is not an opportunity to pass them. Give assistance and ensure they are ok. Time considerations will always be given to the ones who stop and assist injured runners.
Series Points System:
- You receive points for each run you complete. Your total score is the sum of all your attended (and finished) races.
- The winner of a race receives 100 points. Every other runner receives points based on their time compared to the winner’s. For example, Sarah wins the race in 35:00 and Sonja finished in 42:00. Sarah’s score is 100 because she won. Sonja’s score is 83.3. It is calculated by dividing the winner’s time (35 minutes) by her time (42 minutes) and then multiplying the results by 100 (35/42 x 100 = 83.3).
- Points are calculated separately for men and women.
- You are counted as a Series participant if you complete at least four of the six races in the Series in the same distance category (i.e. the short, middle or long distance).
- Your age group for the Series will be your age as at end of the year.
- Awards are presented to the overall top three male and female runners in each of the three distance categories, as well as the first male/female runners in the following age groups: Juniors (under 12 & under 16), 16-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+.
- The overall top three male and female runners are not eligible for age group awards.
Registration opens 1st December 2023. Registration closes Friday, 19th May at 12.30pm.
Please visit the Trail Run Series Registration page to register: REGISTER HERE
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
The Fine Print – Waiver Form – When registering online, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.
Change, Cancellation and Refund Policy
Participant no longer able to attend/participate
- Registered Participants who are no longer able to attend or participate in their registered event may:
- Request a refund as outlined and in accordance with clauses 2 and 3;
- Request a transfer of their registration to another event as outlined and in accordance with clauses 4 to 6; or
- Request that their registration be transferred to another athlete as outlined and in accordance with clauses 7 to 9.
- Participants may request a refund by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ no less than 14 days prior to the event. No refund requests will be considered or refunds issued after this date.
- Refunds made in accordance with clause 2 are subject to a $10 transaction fee per registration being refunded.
- Participants may request to transfer their registration to another Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series event within the same calendar year by emailing ‘email@example.com’ no less than 7 days prior to the event. No transfer requests will be considered or transfers issued after this date.
- Event registrations can only be transferred once. If the registered participant is unable to attend their nominated subsequent event, the entry fee will be forfeited.
- Transfers made in accordance with clauses 4 and 5 are subject to a $5 administration fee per registration that is payable at the time of transfer.
- Participants may request to transfer their registration to another athlete by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ no less than 7 days prior to the event. No athlete transfer requests will be considered or athlete transfers issued after this date.
- Written requests for an athlete transfer must include the full name of the athlete being nominated in the registered participant’s place as well as their mobile number, email address, gender, date of birth and emergency contact information.
- Athlete transfers made in accordance with clauses 7 and 8 are subject to a $5 administration fee per registration that is payable at the time of transfer.
Participant seeking to change nominated distance
- Registered Participants may change their nominated distance for the event by either:
- Clicking the ‘change link’ contained in the confirmation email received upon registration; or
- By emailing their request to ‘email@example.com’.
- Changes requested by email will be subject to a $5 administration fee.
- Where a registered participant is changing to a shorter distance, no credit or refund will be issued for any difference in registration fees between the two distances.
- Where a registered participant is changing to a longer distance, the price difference between the two distances must be paid by the registered participant at the time of requesting the change.
- Outer Limits reserves the right to alter the course without notice, reschedule and/or cancel the event in consultation with emergency services, government agencies and event stakeholders.
- Should the event need to be rescheduled, all registrations will be automatically transferred to the new date.
- Registered participants unable to attend the new date must notify Outer Limits by emailing ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. Registered participants will then have the option to have their registration refunded (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 2 and 3), registration transferred (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 4 to 6) or nominate another athlete to take over their registration (as outlined and in accordance with clauses 7 to 9).
- In the unlikely circumstance that the event has to be cancelled and is unable to be rescheduled, all registered participants will receive a credit towards a future Mike Carney Toyota Trail Run Series event. The credit will be valid for 12 months.
- Refunds are not available where the event is unable to be rescheduled.
Volunteers: All great events require great volunteers! We always welcome new and or seasoned volunteers to help us out in the lead up of the event and on event day. All volunteers receive FREE ferry tickets and a FREE meal at the pub.
Some volunteer roles might include helping set up race HQ on Saturday morning. Cheering runners on along the course and pointing them in the right direction. Sweep runners, making sure everyone makes it home safe and collecting trail markers along the way. Please fill out the below online registration form if you or any of your family and friends are interested in volunteering for the event.