The Two Bays Trail Run
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm$14 – $55
Outer Limits hosts the annual Two Bays Trail Run on Magnetic Island on Saturday, 22nd May 2021. The spectacular run takes you from one side of Magnetic Island to the other and finishes at the Arcadia Village Hotel. Choose your own challenge from a 6km, 12km or an 18km course.
Registration opens 1st December 2020
Registration closes Friday (21st May) at 12.30pm
Download the Athlete Guide here (we are currently updating the athlete guide, available soon)
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here
SeaLink is on board again this year, offering all competitors a 20% discount on ferry tickets. On race day, there will be a list of names at the ticket counter, make sure to mention the trail run and your name to receive your discount. [The discounted tickets can only be purchased on Saturday, 22nd May]
Where: The run commences from Nelly Bay on Magnetic Island. On leaving the Ferry Terminal turn LEFT towards Picnic Bay. The sign in and start line is 100 metres along the road on your left in the park. It will be clearly marked
Rego opens from 2pm. You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number.
Getting there: There are 3 ferries that will get you to the start line on time (11.30am, 12:55pm, 2:15pm). Please try and take an earlier ferry if you can. If everyone takes the 2:15, some might miss out! Make sure to take the earlier ferries to have plenty of time on the Island to get yourself set up and signed in.
Entry Fees: General Entry starts: 10th April | Late Entry starts: 15th May
- 6km– Early Bird $33.50 | General Entry $37 | Late Entry $43
- 12km– Early Bird $39 | General Entry $43 | Late Entry $49
- 18km– Early Bird $44 | General Entry $49 | Late Entry $55
- Juniors (under 16yrs) only pay $14 general entry | Late Entry $20
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date)
Start Times: Briefing for all 3 courses – 3:05pm – Nelly Bay
- 18km – Start 3:15pm
- 12km – Start 3:25pm
- 6km – Start 3:35pm
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: is at approximately 6:00/6:30pm at the Arcadia Hotel or earlier if most people are back. So make sure to stick around
Mandatory Gear: Required for the 12km and 18km course. There is no mandatory gear for the 6km run. We have marshals on the course, a vehicle and first aid available.
Mandatory gear checks for 12km and 18km will be done at check in
- 2x compression bandage
- a fully charged phone (there is limited service along the course). Please download the Emergency+ app on your phone and familiarise yourself with it
- a whistle
- an emergency blanket
- sufficient hydration and nutrition
–> IMPORTANT –> 18km competitors need to bring a headtorch, as it will be getting dark towards the end of the run!
Gear Drop: A personal bag per competitor will be transported to the finish line for you. It must be clearly marked and placed in the allocated gear drop area near the registration desk. For the 18km course runners a gear drop will be at the 7km/12km point (Radical Bay turnoff), please ensure you clearly mark any gear you would like to have available at this point.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the start/finish line. The course runs through Magnetic Island National Park, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the National Park and ‘Leave no Trace’ policy. The park will remain open for day users, please be mindful and courteous of other users.
Course Overview: The 6km, 12km and 18km course will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go, depending on which distance you are completing. There will be course marshals at each significant turn.
All 3 courses commence in Nelly Bay, running up Mandalay Ave and following the Mandalay walking track to Arcadia Bay. The trail is technical single track, winding it’s way up and over the Island with stunning views over Horseshoe Bay.
CAUTION: Due to the technicality of the course it will take considerably longer than you would run the same distance on the road, so ensure you take adequate food and water to cover you for the duration you expect. Please ensure you have done adequate training and come prepared.
Water: It is recommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There is some water provided on the course. Runners need to use their own bottles
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 18km Course Cut-off time: 5pm at Horseshoe Bay
6km course map & elevation
Download the 6km GPX file here
The 6km course drops straight down into Arcadia Bay.
12km course map & elevation
Download the 6km GPX file here
The 12km and 18km course take a left turn and head to the Forts car park. The 12km runners take a 4km out and back down Radical Bay Road and then it’s all downhill along the Telstra Track to the Arcadia Hotel.
18km course map & elevation
Download the 6km GPX file here
The 18km runners take the track beside the road heading to Horseshoe Bay, past the pub along the foreshore and over the trail to Radical Bay, then up Radical Bay Road and down the Telstra Track to Arcadia.
Course Map & GPX files: coming soon
Race Day Info
Merchandise:. There will be Outer Limits merchandise and race nutrition for sale at the start line/race HQ in Nelly Bay
Finish Line refreshments: Water and electrolytes are available at the finish line for competitors.
Dinner: Arcadia Hotel is offering discounted meals for all runners from 6pm. There will be live music, bar and pool and it will be a great atmosphere. We encourage you all to stick around and take advantage of the great location.
Getting Home: If you are not spending the night on the island, there are 4 return ferries that are well suited: 5:10pm, 6:40pm, 8pm and 10pm. You will have to catch the Sun bus (or walk) from Arcadia Bay to catch the Ferry at the SeaLink terminal in Nelly Bay.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see an event official or contact race HQ. If you do not report to an event official and a search party is sent out, this will be at the competitors cost. It will be hot so please take precautions to stay safe in the heat.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Additional COVID regulations:
Please DO NOT attend the event if you
- are unwell and experience any COVID like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath)
- have recently travelled overseas, to Victoria or any other COVID hotspot
- have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m whenever you can. Especially when picking up your bib number
- utilise the sanitisation stations at the entry of event HQ
Volunteers: All great events require great volunteers! We always welcome new and or seasoned volunteers to help us out in the lead up of the event and on event day. All volunteers receive FREE ferry tickets and a FREE meal at the pub.
Some volunteer roles might include helping set up race HQ on Saturday morning. Cheering runners on along the course and pointing them in the right direction. Sweep runners, making sure everyone makes it home safe and collecting trail markers along the way. Senior First Aid qualified volunteers are welcome to apply to help out during the race. Please contact us if you or any of your family and friends are interested in volunteering for the event.
Thank You to our sponsors
January 1 @ 8:00 am - November 30 @ 5:00 pm
April 12 @ 8:00 am - April 15 @ 4:00 pm
April 24 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
June 20 @ 6:00 am - 11:00 am