- This event has passed.
The Two Bays
May 23 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm$12 – $54
Outer Limits hosts the annual Two Bays Trail Run on Magnetic Island on Saturday, 23rd May 2020. The spectacular run takes you from one side of Magnetic Island to the other and finishes at the Arcadia Village Hotel. Choose your own challenge from a 6km, a 12km and an 18km course.
Registration opens 1st January 2020
Download the Athlete Guide here (we are currently updating the athlete guide, available soon)
SeaLink is on board again this year, offering all competitors a 20% discount on ferry tickets. On race day, there will be a list of names at the ticket counter, make sure to mention the trail run and your name to receive your discount. [The discounted tickets can only be purchased on Saturday, 23rd May]
When: Saturday May 23rd, 2020
Getting there: There are 3 ferries that will get you to the start line on time (11.30am, 12:55pm, 2:15pm). Please try and take an earlier ferry if you can. If everyone takes the 2:15, some might miss out! Make sure to take the earlier ferries to have plenty of time on the Island to get yourself set up and signed in.
Where: The run commences from Nelly Bay on Magnetic Island. On leaving the Ferry Terminal turn LEFT towards Picnic Bay. The sign in and start line is 100 metres along the road on your left in the park. It will be clearly marked
Rego opens from 2pm. You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number.
Categories & Awards:
Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
6km- Early Bird $32.50 (until 4th April) | General Entry $36 (5th April-15th May) | Late Entry $42 (16th May-closed)
12km- Early Bird $38 (until 4th April) | General Entry $42 (5th April-15th May) | Late Entry $48 (16th May-closed)
18km- Early Bird $43 (until 4th April) | General Entry $48 (5th April-15th May) | Late Entry $54 (16th May-closed)
Juniors (under 16yrs) only pay $12 general entry (until 15th May) | Late Entry $18 (16th May- closed)
Briefing for all 3 courses – 3:05pm – Nelly Bay
- 18km – Start 3:15pm
- 12km – Start 3:25pm
- 6km – Start 3:35pm
Presentation is at approximately 6:00/6:30pm at the Arcadia Hotel or earlier if most people are back. So make sure to stick around
Mandatory Gear: Required for the 12km and 18km course. There is no mandatory gear for the 6km run. We have marshals on the course, a vehicle and first aid available.
Mandatory gear checks for 12km and 18km will be done at check in
- 2x compression bandage
- a fully charged phone (there is limited service along the course). Please download the Emergency+ app on your phone and familiarise yourself with it
- a whistle
- an emergency blanket
- sufficient hydration and nutrition
–> IMPORTANT –> 18km competitors need to bring a headtorch, as it will be getting dark towards the end of the run!
Gear Drop: A personal bag per competitor will be transported to the finish line for you. It must be clearly marked and placed in the allocated gear drop area near the registration desk. For the 18km course runners a gear drop will be at the 7km/12km point (Radical Bay turnoff), please ensure you clearly mark any gear you would like to have available at this point.
Water: It is reccommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There are creek crossings with flowing water which you may wish to utilise. There is no provided water on the course.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the start/finish line. The course runs through Magnetic Island National Park, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the National Park and ‘Leave no Trace’ policy. The park will remain open for day users, please be mindful and courteous of other users.
The Course: The 6km, 12km and 18km course will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There will be course marshals at each significant turn.
All 3 courses commence in Nelly Bay, running up Mandalay Ave and following the Mandalay walking track to Arcadia Bay. The trail is technical single track, winding it’s way up and over the Island
with stunning views over Horseshoe Bay. The 6km course drops straight down into Arcadia Bay. The 12km and 18km course take a left turn and head to the Forts car park. The 12km runners take a 4km out and back down Radical Bay Road and then it’s all downhill along the Telstra Track to the Arcadia Hotel. The 18km runners take the track beside the road heading to Horseshoe Bay, past the pub along th
foreshore and over the trail to Radical Bay, then up Radical Bay Road and down the Telstra Track to Arcadia.
Course Map & GPX files: coming soon
Merchandise:. There will be merchandise and race nutrition for sale at the start line/race HQ
Finish Line refreshments: There will be an array of fruit (Thanks to The Fresh Market Willows), water and electrolytes at the finish line for competitors.
Dinner: Arcadia Hotel is offering discounted meals for all runners from 6pm. There will be live music, bar and pool and it will be a great atmosphere. We encourage you all to stick aro
und and take advantage of the great location.
Getting Home: If you are not spending the night on the island, there are 4 return ferries that are well suited: 5:10pm, 6:40pm, 8pm and 10pm. You will have to catch the sun bus (or walk) from Arcadia Bay to catch the Ferry at the SeaLink terminal in Nelly Bay.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see a race volunteer or contact race HQ.
Volunteers: All great events require great volunteers! We always welcome new an
d or seasoned volunteers to help us out in the lead up of the event and on event day. All volunteers receive FREE ferry tickets and FREE meal at the pub.
Some volunteer roles might include helping set up race HQ on Saturday morning. Cheering runners on along the course and pointing them in the right direction. Sweep runners, making sure everyone makes it home safe and collecting trail markers along the way. Senior First Aid qualified volunteers are welcome to apply to help out during the race. Please contact us if you or any of your family and friends are interested in volunteering for the event.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need al
l participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your bib chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirt and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy