Castle Hill Trail Run
February 28 @ 5:00 am - 10:00 am$13 – $37
The first run in the Outer Limits Trail Running Series 2021: The Castle Hill Trail Run. This event, being early in the the year, is designed to get people into trail running and utilise Townsville’s biggest icon. The race starts and finishes from the West End State School and the course covers the trails on the western side of the hill. The trails are not be closed to the public but we are not be using the popular “goat track”. The race has a 3km course for beginners and kids, a 6km intermediate course and a tough 9km for the more experienced runners. This event offers a great trail running experience right on your front door step.
Registration opens 1st December 2020
Registration closes Saturday (27th February) at 12.30pm
Download the Athlete Guide here
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here
When: Sunday, 28th February 2021
Sign in opens from 5:30am. You will be required to sign in on time and be allocated a race number. Pins will be provided (or you can bring a race number belt).
Where: Castle Hill – West End State School
Getting there: The race HQ is accessible via Wilson Street. The gate access to the school grounds will be sign posted
Parking: Parking is available from Lamington Road and Wilson Street. Please park in an orderly fashion and be considerate of local residents.
Entry Fees: General Entry starts: 17th January | Late Entry starts: 21st February
- 3km: Early Bird $17 | General Entry $19 | Late Entry $25
- 6km: Early Bird $22.50 | General Entry $25 | Late Entry $31
- 9km: Early Bird $27.50 | General Entry $31 | Late Entry $37
- Juniors (under 16) only pay $13 General Entry | $19 Late Entry
Min age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years
Start Times: The start will be a wave start format with self seeding. The faster runners will start first and the slower runners follow 15min later. This will help to prevent bottlenecks along the trail and faster runners becoming stuck behind slower runners.
- 9km Slog – Start times: Fast runners: 6:30am | Medium runners: 6:35 | Slower runners: 6:40am
- 6km Scurry – Start times: Fast runners: 6:50am | Medium runners: 6:55 | Slower runners: 7:00am
- 3km Scramble – Start times: Fast runners: 7:15am | Medium runners: 7:20 | Slow runners: 7:25am
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
- 1st place in age group for each distance (excluding top 3 winners) will be contacted after the event
Presentation: 9:00am* or as soon as the Top 3 runners have finished. Prizes are awarded to the top 3 runners on the day
Mandatory Gear: There is no mandatory gear for the run. We will have marshals on the course and first aid available. It will be hot, so please consider taking water with you. It is a good idea to take a mobile phone with you. We do recommend to download the app Emergency +
Water: There will be 1 water point on the course but no cups available. It is recommended to carry enough water to complete the race.
Facilities: Toilets are located at the race HQ, West End State School. It also has plenty of shade and covered areas for friends and family who not running.
Sausage Sizzle: will be provided by the west State School at the end of the race, free for race participants.
Course Overview: The 3 courses are clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction has a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There are course marshals at each significant turn. The course loops and criss crosses it’s way along the trails all over Castle Hill. It is dry and rocky, we recommend trail shoes (these are not essential). The course climbs part way up and back down the side of the hill so be prepared for some challenging sections.
3km course – Starts flat along a trail above the cemetery, then along the Maidenhair Track, it then turns left up a trail and down the Dianella Trail and back along Maidenhair Trail to the finish.
To download the GPX file, please follow this link here.
6km course – Around the hill, along Maidenhair Trail, through suburban West End, up the Iron Bark Trail down the road, taking a right turn past the water tank, up the Cudtheringa Trail, down the Goat Track and back around Maidenhair to the finish.
To download the GPX file, please follow this link here
9km course – Along Maidenhair, through suburban West End, up a short section of lower Iron Bark, past the SES and over to West Ridge Trail, up West Ridge, across the road, past the water tank, then up Cudtheringa trail, down the Goat Track and back around along Maidenhair to the finish.
To download the GPX file, please follow this link here.
Race Day Info
Merchandise: Outer Limits merchandise and race nutrition is for sale on the day
Refreshments: The Feel Good Foodie ensures you get your caffeine hit before and after your run. They also have food and other drinks on their menu. There is cold water and electrolytes available to all competitors at the finish line.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see an event official or contact race HQ. If you do not report to an event official and a search party is sent out, this will be at the competitors cost. It will be hot so please take precautions to stay safe in the heat.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Additional COVID regulations:
Please DO NOT attend the event if you
- are unwell and experience any COVID like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath)
- have recently travelled overseas, to Victoria or any other COVID hotspot
- have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m whenever you can. Especially when picking up your bib number
- utilise the sanitisation stations at the entry of event HQ
If you are not running and would still like to be part of the event, why not come and give us a hand. Our events can only be successful with a great team on the ground and there are plenty of things to do. If you are interested to volunteer at the Castle Hill Trail Run, please fill out the below form and we will be in touch closer to the event.
January 1 @ 8:00 am - November 30 @ 5:00 pm
February 5 @ 5:00 pm - February 8 @ 3:00 pm
February 28 @ 5:00 am - 10:00 am
April 11 @ 6:00 am - 11:00 am
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm