More information coming soon
The AIMS 50th Anniversary Trail Run is a unique opportunity to come and explore the trails surrounding AIMS (Australian Institute of Marine Science) and beyond.
AIMS is Australia’s tropical marine research agency, located right here in North Queensland (with smaller sites in Darwin and Perth). Since 1972, AIMS has been providing large-scale, long-term and world class marine science research to Australia. This is a once-off special opportunity to visit the Cape Cleveland facility to celebrate in AIMS’ 50 year anniversary. You can read more about their great work here.
When: Sunday, 14th August 2022
You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number. Pins will be provided or you can bring a race number belt. No registration on the day!
Where: AIMS, 1526 Cape Cleveland Road, Cape Cleveland
Getting there: AIMS is approximately a 50 min drive south on the Bruce Highway. Head south towards Ayr on the Bruce Highway/A1 to Cape Cleveland Road in Mount Elliot. Turn left onto Cape Cleveland Road and follow the road until you arrive at AIMS.
Parking: Parking will be sign posted on the day and a Marshall will direct you to a spot.
Course Overview: The 3 courses will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There will also be course marshals at each significant turn. Sections of the course are on AIMS private property, please do not access these parts outside of the event, trespassers will be prosecuted.
Cut Off Times: The event director and event officials reserve the right to pull any competitor out of the race if they are concerned about their well being. Runners may be short coursed or directed straight to the finish, if they have not reached a certain check point by the cut off time.
- 12.2km Course Cut-off time: TBC
3km Course: The Intro- Get a taste of what trail running is about. This course is suited for beginners with some experience or the ones who want to challenge themselves on a fast short course.
Starts at Race HQ and takes you down to the jetty. Make sure to take a moment to have a look around before heading back towards AIMS to cross the finish line.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
8km Course: The Intermediate- The best way to get your trail running skills put to the test. Good running fitness required.
The 8km course takes the runners down along Cape Cleveland road before turning right onto the trail. The course follows undulating terrain before it hits the beach. Follow the beach for about 2km and then turn right heading back towards AIMS. The out and back goes down to the jetty, makes sure to take in the scenery before heading back up to the finish line.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
12.5km Course: The Real Deal- a grand tour of AIMS scenic spots, beaches and hills.
The course starts off the same way as the 8km course. Heading out along Cape Cleveland Road, runners turn right onto the trail, which takes them across undulating terrain. The 12.5km runners add on an out and back to Paradise Bay. They then follow the same course as the 8km runners, along the beach and they do another out and back to the jetty. From there it is straight back to the finish.
Download a GPX file of the course here.
Distances & Entry fees: General Entry starts: March | Late Entry starts: 7th August
- 3km – General Entry $25 | Late Entry $30
- 8km – General Entry $35 | Late Entry $40
- 12.5km – General Entry $45 | Late Entry $50
Minimum age to participate in our short distance events is 8 years and for the longer distances 11 years (age as of event date).
Start times: Race course briefing will be held 5min prior to race start.
Sunday, 14th August
- 7.30am Sign in and Bib collection for 12.5km run
- 7.55am Race briefing for 12.5km runners
- 8.00am 12.5km Run start
- 7.45am Sign in and Bib collection for 8km run
- 8.10am Race briefing for 8km runners
- 8.15am 8km Run start
- 8.00am Sign in and Bib collection for 3km run
- 8.25am Race briefing for 3km runners
- 8.30am 3km Run start
- 10.30am Presentations (*approx. time only- once all Top 3 are in)
Mandatory Gear: There is mandatory gear for the 8km and 12.5km. There will be mandatory gear checks at the sign in. We have marshals on the course, sweep runners and first aid.
- 2x compression bandages
- a fully charged and waterproofed phone (there is limited service along the course) Please download the free EMERGENCY+ app on your phone prior to the event
- Space blanket
Categories & Awards: Juniors (under 16) | 16-29yrs | 30-39yrs | 40-49yrs | 50-59 yrs | 60+yrs
- Top 3 Male & Female for each distance are awarded at presentation
- Top 3 junior boys and girls (short distance only) are awarded at presentation
Presentation: Presentation will be held as soon as the Top 3 runners have finished. Prizes will be given to the top 3 runners on the day
Water & Nutrition: It is recommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There is some water provided on the course, no cups, please bring your own bottle. Ensure you take sufficient nutrition with you for the duration of your run.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the start/finish line. The course runs through the Bowling Green Bay National Park and AIMS property, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the reserve.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your timing chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us. The event director reserves the right to short course or pull competitors out of the race if they are concerned for their well-being.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks and public places clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- The Fine Print- Waiver Form– When registering online, you agree to the Terms & Conditions.
Additional COVID regulations:
Please DO NOT attend the event if you
- are unwell and experience any COVID like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath)
- have recently travelled overseas, to Victoria or any other COVID hotspot
- have been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m whenever you can. Especially when picking up your bib number
- utilise the sanitisation stations at the entry of event HQ
Registration opens April 2022. Registration closes Friday 12th August at 12pm!
Athlete Guide: Please read the athlete guide in its entirety before attending the event. Download the guide here (COMING SOON).
Please check your spam folder for confirmation email and other communication from us, if you have not received any emails after registering.
If you would like to check who your competition will be or if you need to check if your name is on the list, a participant list can be found here (COMING SOON).
Cancellation and Refunds
Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy
Online registration coming soon