- This event has passed.
The Two Bays
May 25 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm$10 - $45
Outer Limits hosts the Two Bays Trail Run on Magnetic Island. The spectacular run takes you
from one side of Magnetic Island to the other and finishes at the Arcadia Village Hotel. There will be a 6km, a 12km course and an 18km course.
Getting there: There are 3 ferries with timings that suit to get you to the start line on time (11.30am, 12:55pm, 2:15pm). Please try and take an earlier ferry – If everyone takes the 2:15 you wont all fit! Make sure you take those early ferries to have plenty of time on the Island to get yourself set up and signed in.
SeaLink is on board again this year, offering all competitors a 20% discount on ferry tickets. On race day, there will be a list of names at the counter, so make sure you mention the trail run and your name to receive your discount. [The discounted tickets can only be purchased on Saturday, 25th May]
Where: The run commences from Nelly Bay on Magnetic Island. On leaving the Ferry Terminal turn LEFT towards Picnic Bay. The start line is 100 metres along the road on your left in the park. It will be clearly marked.
When: Saturday May 25th, 2019
Rego Open from: 2pm. You will be required to sign in and be allocated a race number.
Merchandise:. There will also be merchandise and race nutrition for sale.
Categories: Male & Female
Juniors (under 16) (16-29yrs) (30-39yrs) (40-49yrs) (50+ yrs)
Start Times & Entry Fees:
Briefing for all 3 courses – 3:05pm – Nelly Bay
18km – Start 3:15pm – Early Bird $ 36 | General Entry $40 | Late Entry $45
12km – Start 3:25pm – Early Bird $ 31.50 | General Entry $30 | Late Entry $35
6km – Start 3:35pm – Early Bird $ 27 | General Entry $25 | Late Entry $30
Presentations – approximately 6:00/6:30pm at the Arcadia Hotel or earlier if most people are back. So make sure to stick around
Gear Drop: A personal bag per competitor will be transported to the finish line for you. It must be clearly marked and placed in the allocated gear drop area near the registration desk. For the 18km course runners a gear drop will be at the 7km/12km point (Radical Bay turnoff), please ensure you clearly mark any gear you would like to have available at this point.
Mandatory Gear: There is no mandatory gear for the run. We have marshals on the course, a vehicle and first aid available. Some gear you may wish to take includes compression bandages, a phone (there is limited service along the course), energy gels/bars, hydration.
–> IMPORTANT –> 18km competitors might want to bring a headtorch, as it will be getting dark towards the end of the run!!
Water: It is reccommended that you take at least 500ml of water per hour that you expect to be running. There are creek crossings with flowing water which you may wish to utilise. There is no provided water on the course.
Facilities: There are toilets located at the start/finish line. The course runs through the Magnetic Island National Park, please ensure you do not litter along the course and respect the National Park. The park will also be open for day users so please be mindful and courteous of other users.
The Course: The 6km, 12km and 18km course will be clearly marked with pink tape, signage, arrows and caution tape. Each track junction will have a sign with directions on which way to go depending on which distance you are completing. There will also be course marshals at each significant turn. Essentially, all 3 courses will commence running up Mandalay Ave and follow the Mandalay walking track to Arcadia Bay. The trail is technical single track winding it’s way up over the Island with stunning views to Horseshoe Bay. The 6km course drops straight down into Arcadia Bay. The 12km and 18km course take a left turn and head to the Forts car park. The 12km runners take 4km out and back down Radical Bay Road and then it’s all down the Telstra Track to the Arcadia Hotel. The 18km runners take the track beside the road heading to Horseshoe Bay, past the pub along the foreshore and over the trail to Radical Bay (now running the old 20km course in reverse) then up Radical Bay Road and down the Telstra Track to Arcadia.
Finish Line refreshments: There will be an array of fruit (Thanks to The Fresh Market Willows), water and electrolytes at the finish line for competitors.
Dinner: Arcadia Hotel is offering discounted meals for all runners from 6pm. There will be live music and it will be a great atmosphere so we encourage you all to stick around and take advantage of the great location.
Getting Home: There are 3 return ferries that will be suitable, 5:10pm, 6:40pm, 8pm and 10pm. You will have to catch the sun bus (or walk) from Arcadia Bay to meet the Ferry at the terminal in Nelly Bay.
Safety: The trails include sections of challenging and technical single track, be sure to exercise caution on these sections. If you DO NOT FINISH the race you must see a race volunteer or contact race HQ.
Volunteers: We need a handful of course marshals and time keepers for the event. All volunteers receive FREE ferry tickets and FREE meal at the pub. Some volunteer roles might include helping set up race HQ on Saturday morning. Cheering runners on along the course and pointing them in the right direction. Sweep runners, making sure everyone makes it home safe and collecting trail markers along the way. Senior First Aid qualified volunteers are welcome to apply to help out during the race. Please contact us if you or any of your family are interested.
Rules & Regulations: In order for the event to run as smoothly as possible we need all participants to cooperate and stick to our rules and regulations, please read through the points below:
- No rego, No run! – We do not offer registration on the day and most our events sell out in advance. Please check with us before coming to the event unregistered.
- Visible BIB number – Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible (front of shirt) when crossing the finish line, this ensures the correct detection of your bib chip by the electronic timing system. The bib can not be covered by clothes or bags, this might cause the timing chip to not be picked up by the antenna at the finish line.
- No shortcuts – please stick to the marked track, for safety and fairness reasons. All courses are clearly marked and we have marshals out on the course
- Fitness level – please choose the right distance according to your fitness level! Many of our courses are a bit more technical and running on trail will take you approximately twice as long as running the same distance on road. Our trail run events are not designed to be walked, especially not the longer distances. If you have any questions in regards to choosing the right distance according to your ability, please feel free to contact us.
- Trail etiquette: please do not litter along the trail. Make sure to use the toilets at start and finish line. There will be no toilets on the course, please help us keep our National Parks clean and tidy.
- Dress Code – please wear appropriate clothing, including pants, shirts and suitable running shoes
- Please read through our Cancellation and Refund Policy